We are very glad that 99% of students enjoyed our pickleball instructions during spring break DREAM Camps in Surrey:
Thank you for the participation of Pickleball Canada volunteer instructors, coaches and administration in Surrey School District Spring Break DREAM Camps. More than 500 at risk children with few opportunities and who often face multiple barriers on a daily basis, had the special opportunity to try a wide variety of new and interesting activities led by experts in their field including: art, dance, circus, science, robotics, gymnastics, cycling, martial arts, soccer, basketball, volleyball, pickleball, tennis and animal care. Without the more than 30 partner groups who lent their time, patience, energy and knowledge to the camps, we could not have offered this enriching and eye opening experience to children from across Surrey. We very much appreciated the time and dedication that your volunteers put forward, and the commitment you have demonstrated to our students. We hope that you too found the time rewarding and impactful – and very clearly made a difference in your work with the students over spring break.
Some statistics will give you a small idea of the important effect DREAM Camps have on vulnerable students in Surrey.
99% of students said they had fun at camp
53% of students said that if they were not at camp they would have been watching TV
58% of students said that if they were not at camp they would be playing video games
80% of students said they enjoyed making new friends
The goals of the spring break DREAMS Camps are:
1. To provide a safe, secure and nurturing environment for students who might otherwise engage in inappropriate activities over this two week break
2. Extend and enrich learning opportunities
3. Give children with few opportunities the chance to try a wide variety of interesting and exciting extra-curricular activities
4. Allow students to engage with and learn from a variety of adult mentors with different and diverse backgrounds and perspectives
5. Keep children connected to and engaged with school and to re-ignite passion for learning
6. To encourage participation in school and community extracurricular activities and events after the camps where possible
Thanks so much for everything you did to make DREAM Camps a reality and we hope to have you back again next year!